Just in time for Thanksgiving...time to gild that pumpkin pie!
Cindie's Brown Sugar Meringue
Makes enough meringue for a 9-inch pie
Denise loves the toasted marshmallow flavor of this meringue with pumpkin pie but it will work on any pie. Make your own favorite pumpkin pie recipe. Or gussie up a store-bought pie! Tiffany puts this meringue on her chocolate cream pie.
Brown the meringue with a kitchen torch or in the oven; both work fine but the torch give you a more dramatic look like the one pictured above. And, while the addition of brown sugar adds a rich taste to this meringue, it also makes it slightly soft (the cream of tartar helps to stabilize the meringue) so be ready to brown it as soon as you get it on the pie!
Meringue ingredients (#1):
6 large egg whites
1¾ cups granulated sugar
¼ cup dark brown sugar, packed
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
1 prepared pie (#2)
- If using the oven to brown meringue, preheat to 325 degrees F.
- Fill a medium saucepan with about 2-inches of water and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and place a large stainless steel bowl over the top. Add egg whites and sugars.
- Using a whisk, stir constantly until sugar has dissolved and mixture is very warm to the touch, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. (#3)
- Using an electric hand or stand mixer, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy, about 2 minutes. Add cream of tartar and increase speed to high. Continue beating until very thick, stiff and glossy, about 5 minutes. (#4)
- Spoon meringue onto top of pie, spreading to cover. Don't be afraid to make the surface very swirly! (#5)
- Immediately brown top with a kitchen torch or place in oven and let cook until nicely browned, about 15 minutes. (#6)
- Let cool before serving.